Thursday, November 3, 2011

Commissioner's Observations on Week 8


1.     Commish in First Place! JoJo Still in Lead! At about 11:30 on Monday night, I was at my computer tallyuing up the week’s points, when I noticed that with the Chargers’ win (they were about to kick the game-winning field goal) I would be in first place. Just then, I heard the roar from the crowd on tv and assumed it was the successful field goal. Then I remembered that the game was in KC. Looking to the tv, I saw the impossible—the Chargers had fumbled at the 15 with only seconds left to play. Unbelievable. The Chargers gained almost 3 times the yards, outplayed the Chiefs all night, then lost it in overtime. I lost 2 points and our leader, JoJo, gained 2, a turnaround of 4 points!
2.     Pick of the Week. Son Lucas get that award for bing the only one to pick the Vikings. His selection criteria still mystifies me, but he soldiers on. Cousin Wayne would share this honor for being the only one to pick the Steelers over the Pats, but league by-laws clearly state that a pick against the Pats cannot qualify for Pick of the Week.
3.     High Scorers. Both Wayne and JoJo had 11 points for the week, with identical 10-3 records and the winning Monday night pick. Kate, Sean and I had 9-4 weeks, but we all picked the Chargers.
4.     Scott Still Hot. Scott followed up winning last week with an 8-5 week.
5.     Unanimous Picks.  We were 4-1 on unanimous picks last week, with the Saints being the only unanimous pick that lost.